Please see below and let me know who would be intereted in attending tonight at practice.
As discussed in the last All Star meeting, we looked into March tournament options besides the Cape and found one that looks pretty good.
Maine Hoops March Mayhem II Travel Team Special Sponsored by Zero Gravity
March 14-15, 2020
Here are some details from the Tournament Organizer:
- They have been running the tournament for over 10 years and have gotten very good feedback. Last year they had 69 Boys Teams and 42 Girls Teams.
- Saturday is 2 games of pool play for all teams. Sunday is tournament format based on pool play results, so all teams are guaranteed a minimum of 3 games. NO FRIDAY NIGHT GAMES.
- They mainly use 7 courts within a few miles of each other in Saco and Biddeford Maine. They use a few other facilities in Portland Maine, approximately 15-20 minutes away. So all of the gyms are pretty close to each other.
- They work with Travel Coordinators from Zero Gravity for discounted hotel rates. We can go through them or try to find hotels ourselves. There are a handful of hotels right in Saco, but many more in Portland that we could look into. Like we did with the Cape, we will look for a hotel that can accommodate all our teams/families, is reasonably priced, and is “kid friendly” (i.e. indoor pool is usually a hit with the kids).
- Coventry Basketball will cover the Tournament Entry Fees for the teams, so families would just need to pay for their own hotel rooms, food, etc. Depending on how many rooms we need, some of the hotels may require a 2 night minimum (Friday/Saturday) so please keep that in mind. Like I said, we will look for the best deal we can get at a hotel that will meet all of our needs.
- Teams can register as either A/B/C skill level to keep games competitive. Chris A/Dave M, not sure if we had to do this for the Cape tournament? I can get more details from the Tournament Organizer on the skill level classifications if we decide to go with this tournament.
The tournament registration page should be up and running around the end of this week. So if we’re interested, we should decide soon and start working on hotels. We will need to know which teams want to go and which don’t, so we can determine what we need for hotel space. So please review with your families ASAP and let us know if your team would like to do this tournament